What is a Crib Mattress?
A crib mattress is a mattress designed to fit into a universal baby crib, which measures about 28 inches wide and 52 inches long. There will be a bit of variation in sizing to suit the preferences and needs of different parents and babies.
Crib mattresses may come in several shapes, such as oval, round, or rectangular. The shape chosen will depend on the crib the mattress will be paired with. Most crib mattresses are thin (6 inches or less in thickness).
The Benefits of a Crib Mattress
Crib mattresses come with a variety of benefits for parents and babies. The most important benefit is safe sleep for babies. Crib mattresses are manufactured according to strict guidelines. So, when you lay your baby down in a crib with a crib mattress, you can rest assured that your baby will be safe as they rest. Another benefit of crib mattresses is that they allow you to sleep separately from your baby for your own sanity and for their safety (SIDS risk reduction).
Crib mattresses are also preferred for their flat, firm nature. This firmness gives your baby’s body the support it needs to develop normally. What’s more is that many cribs come with extra features and add-ons that make life easier for parents (more on that in the section below).
The Features for Ease of Life for the Parent
Parents have it really hard in baby’s first months, and sometimes thereafter; cribs make things a lot easier. Here are a few crib mattress features that enhance parents’ quality of life:
- Mattress cover - Mattress covers make cleanup easier by ensuring that accidents don’t soil the whole mattress. Instead of having to clean or replace the mattress, the parent will simply remove the cover and wash it.
- Clever design - The best crib mattresses are made of conformative and cool gel memory foam. It makes baby sleep more soundly and comfortably so that parents get more rest each night.
- Easy setup - Memory foam crib mattresses are the easiet to set up, especially if they come vacuum sealed in a box. In that case, all you’ll need to do is unpack the mattress, place it on the baby’s crib, and allow it to expand.
- Lightweight - Most crib mattresses are lightweight, which makes them super portable. And if you get one in a standard size, you can use it in many different cribs. That way, you won’t have to lug around your main crib when you’re out and about, camping, or on a road trip with your baby.
Safety Certifications Thought Out for Baby
Safety is paramount for your baby, so it only makes sense that crib mattresses are manufactured with safety at the forefront. There are several certifications that make crib mattresses safe. Here are a couple of them:
- CertiPUR certification - Foam crib mattresses with this certification are free of formaldehyde, ozone depleters, and many other toxins that could hurt your baby. They are also low VOC, which means that the mattress won’t make your home’s air unsafe.
- CPSC - The CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) regulates consumer products to ensure that they’re safe for use. Crib mattresses certified by the CPSC meet standards regarding phthalate and lead content, product tracking, mattress firmness, thickness, and more.
Our Mattresses are certified Flexible polyurethane foam. Meaning that our Mattresses have been tested to meet the rigorous standards for emissons, content, performance, and durability. Specifically, the foam is: Made without ozone deleters. Made without PBGDEs, TDCPP or TCEP flame retardants!
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Sign up and never miss a Sale!
Frequently asked questions
Frequently asked questions