Can You Use a Memory Foam Mattress Topper on a Sofa Bed?
Let's face it - sofa beds are rarely good for catching Zs, and that's why people everywhere are looking for ways to make them more comfortable to sleep on. They add comforters, load them up with pillows, reinforce the bed's frame, and more, but these fixes are not always effective.
More and more people are considering memory foam mattress toppers to enhance their sofa bed's comfort - could that be a good idea? That's what we'll address in this article. By the end, you'll know whether you can use a memory foam mattress topper for your pull out couch. We'll also reveal the best soft bed mattress toppers you'll find anywhere.
What is a Memory Foam Mattress Topper?
A memory foam mattress topper is a thin layer of memory foam that's placed on top of your existing mattress to make it more comfortable. These toppers come in a variety of thicknesses, firmness levels, and sizes so you can find the best mattress topper for your needs. They are also manufactured using one or more of several types of memory foam, including traditional memory foam with no extras, gel memory foam, and open-cell memory foam.
Traditional memory foam is essentially plastic that has been treated with a number of chemicals to make it more flexible, while gel memory foam is a mixture of traditional memory foam and small pieces of gel that act as cooling agents. Open-cell memory foam has tiny air pockets within the foam material to make it softer and more breathable.
Most memory foam mattress toppers come with straps or another type of fastener. Others are attached to a slip of fabric and work like a fitted sheet. These features are put in place to keep the mattress topper from sliding around at night.
You Can Use a Memory Foam Mattress Topper on a Sofa Bed
You can definitely use a memory foam mattress topper on a sofa bed. These toppers are designed to be used on any mattress, whether it's on a sofa bed, a futon, or on a traditional frame, base, or foundation. So, the better question is "should you use a memory foam mattress topper on a sofa bed?"
The best way to determine the answer is to look at the benefits of memory foam mattress toppers and weigh them against the potential drawbacks. Below, we'll share the good, bad, and ugly of using a memory foam mattress topper on a sofa bed, and then you'll be able to make an educated decision.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Using a Memory Foam Mattress Topper on a Sofa Bed
The benefits of using a memory foam mattress topper on a sofa bed are numerous, but there are some real drawbacks to consider. We'll get into both the benefits and the drawbacks below.
Benefit 1: Enhanced Comfort
To begin with, memory foam mattress toppers are known for their superior comfort and pressure-relieving properties, and these properties don't go away when a topper is used on a sofa bed. They can also support your body's natural curvature, providing more support and comfort. So, if you, or your guests, regularly wake up with a sore back after sleeping on your sofa bed, a memory foam mattress topper will help a ton.
Why are memory foam mattresses so comfortable? It’s all thanks to their responsive nature. Memory foam is designed to respond to pressure as well as your body heat, so it softens when you lie down on it. This enables your memory foam mattress topper to provide the best support for your unique shape - individualized comfort that makes a real difference as you rest.
Benefit 2: Ease of Use
Another significant benefit of using a memory foam mattress topper on your pull out couch is that it won't be heavy or hard to maneuver. Due to their lightweight and flexible construction, these mattress toppers are easy to transport, making them ideal for use in sofa beds. What's more is that they are easy to use in general. All you need to do to use one is unpack it, align it properly on the mattress, secure it in place, and voila! You've got a comfortable and supportive sleeping surface.
Benefit 3: Affordability
Memory foam mattress toppers are super affordable. They usually range in price from $50 to $300, depending on the size and quality. This is much less than the price of buying a new mattress altogether, so it is an attractive option for people looking to upgrade the comfort level of their sofa bed without breaking the bank.
Drawback 1: Heat Retention
One of the drawbacks to be aware of when using a memory foam mattress topper on a sofa bed is that those made of traditional memory foam tend to trap heat. This makes them potentially uncomfortable during warmer months. Gel-infused mattress toppers can help with this issue, as they are designed with cooling properties in mind. Open-cell memory foam mattress toppers also sleep cooler.
Drawback 2: Durability
The durability of memory foam mattress toppers is another factor to consider before deciding to use one on a pull out couch. Memory foam mattress toppers can wear down, especially when they’ll be folded away most of the time in a sofa bed. To ensure your memory foam mattress topper lasts as long as possible, it's best to flip or rotate it every few months. But, regardless of what you do, the average mattress topper won't last longer than a few years.
Drawback 3: Limited Support
The last thing to be aware of is that memory foam mattress toppers provide limited support for heavier individuals. This means that if you are heavy (more than 250 pounds), or you plan on having overweight guests sleep on your sofa bed, then the average memory foam mattress topper might not be the best option for maximum comfort and support. The more you weigh, the higher the chance of you sinking into your mattress.
How to Choose the Right Memory Foam Mattress Topper
If you thought that all memory foam mattress toppers were created equal, you'd be mistaken. The worst memory foam mattress toppers can make your sleeping experience even worse, and the best ones transform your sofa bed into your own personal dream cloud. To get the best mattress topper for your sofa bed, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Consider getting a gel-infused memory foam mattress topper or one that incorporates open-cell memory foam if you tend to sleep hot. Traditional memory foam toppers will likely make you feel too warm.
- Choose a mattress topper that's at least 2 inches thick - any thinner than that and you won't get enough support for your joints.
- Stay away from any mattress topper that's thicker than 4 inches. Anything thicker than that and you run the risk of it not fitting in your pull out couch. It may also become deformed over time due to being stored in a folded position for hours or days at a time.
- Check the return policy of your mattress topper before you buy it. That way, if it doesn't work out, you can always return it.
- Be particular about the firmness of your mattress topper, as this will determine how comfortable it is on your sofa bed mattress. Choose a soft one if you want to increase the comfort level of your mattress without it feeling too firm, or a firmer one if you want more support for your back and joints.
The Best Sofa Bed Mattress Toppers
Need a little more guidance when it comes to mattress toppers for your sofa bed? Here are some of the best ones on the market:
- 2 Inch Thick Coooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper FIRM- This mattress topper is made of 2 inches of gel-infused memory foam for max coolness as you sleep. It's firm enough to take any sofa bed mattress from too soft to just right. It also features corner straps for security and a stretch knit cover that feels amazing on the skin and can be thrown in the washing machine. And to top it all off, it's resistant to allergens and dust mites. Get it in any size you need - King, Queen, Full, Twin XL, or Twin.
- 3.5 Inch Thick Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper SOFT- This 3.5 inch mattress topper is everything you need to soften up a rigid sofa bed mattress. It's soft to the touch and softens up even more when you hop into bed for the night. It comes with a high-quality cover, free shipping, and a 5 year warranty. Get yours in King, Queen, Full, Twin, Twin XL, and CalKing.
So, there you have it - everything you need to know about memory foam mattress toppers, whether you should use them on sofa beds, and how to find the right one for you. We hope that you found all the information you were looking for and that the mattress topper you choose will change your sleeping experience for the better. Good luck!
¡Certificado por CertiPur-US!
Nuestros Colchones son de espuma de poliuretano Flexible certificada. Lo que significa que nuestros colchones han sido probados para cumplir con los rigurosos estándares de emisiones, contenido, rendimiento y durabilidad. Específicamente, la espuma es: Fabricada sin eliminadores de ozono. ¡Hecho sin retardantes de llama PBGDE, TDCPP o TCEP!
Suscríbete a nuestro boletín
¡Regístrate y no te pierdas ninguna oferta!